Tuesday, 19 February 2008

Michael deMeng Workshop










Joy, Phyllis, Amanda, Louisa, Michael, Ruth, Denise, Megan and Varelle

Janine, Donna

Ursula, Coral and Cheri


Well, what can I say. If Michael is teaching a class nearby I cannot recommend his workshops highly enough! He is one of the most generous, warm and kind souls you will encounter and his teaching skills are awesome.

Michael is such a talented artist who is more than happy to share his techniques. He is one of those teachers who spends time with all his students and we were all a little worried about the Good, the Bad and the Ugly critic at the end of the workshop. However, this was a fabulous end to the weekend, Michael went through each person's piece and discussed various aspects. It enabled us all to learn from each other. One of the things I loved about Michael's workshop was how different each of us interpreted what he had taught us. Although we had been taught the same techniques, we all used them in a different fashion. How refreshing to walk out of a workshop where everyone's work is unique!




Here are some pics of my Assemblook.... this would be the first workshop in which I have completed something that I was actually happy with!



From all accounts everyone had a great time and got on extremely well. I was finally able to meet in person a number of people that I have only ever met "online". By the end of the weekend many new friendships were forged.

There is a possibility that Michael will be doing another workshop here in Sydney in June fingers crossed.

Not only were we lucky enough to have Michael teach, but Michael's girlfriend Judy came to visit on Saturday night and brought with her some of her outstanding artwork as well.

Judy is featured in the latest edition of Cloth Paper Scissors, so if you haven't a copy as yet I'd suggest you run out and get one!

Judy also brought along some of the items that she sells on her Etsy site.... and of course, most of us just had to buy lots of bits and pieces. I utilised a lot of the rusty bits and pieces I had bought off Judy in my Assemblook. Check out Judy's blog here and her Etsy store Red Velvet Elements.



12 comments:

Cheralyn said...

Janine, You did a fantastic job! It was, without doubt, the best art experience of my life. AND... Michael is an amazing teacher, artist and person. I learnt more last weekend than I have in a lifetime plus had so much fun doing it. I'll be there in June!! :)
Hugz, Cheri
www.shoeboxsecrets.blogspot.com

martha brown said...

I LOVE your book -- how wonderful! I have been really lucky to have taken 3 of Michael's classes -- they have all been great!

Elizabeth said...

Janine !! Your book is amazing!! The door lat h piece on the front is wonderful!! I just want to touch it all~~~ the interior is so textural! How did you treat the pages or are those pages actually sheets of metal!!

Taking one of Micheals classes is on my 'Must do" list!!
thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Jo Wholohan said...

awesome janine, looks like a wonderful time by all!!!!

Dot said...

Janine - you have done a WONDERFUL job! Your book is incredible.

I have heard that Michael de Meng is a wonderful , and encouraging teacher. And how lovely that you met his partner Judy. I admire her work and the stuff she sells in Etsy is delicous..

Well done on your book assemblage - it is brilliant!

daydreamstudios said...

Wow. Your book turned out great. I absolutely love the texture. I want to hold it in person!
Karla

You're invited!!!!

What: A Blog Party

Where: http://daydreamstudios.blogspot.com/2008/02/welcome-to-my-humble-blog.html

When: Now thru next Tuesday

Why: Becuase I made it to 100 posts (wasn't sure I'd make it past 3)

Time: My blog never sleeps, so come when you can.

Who: You of course, bring a friend too.

P.S.: I have a present to give away!

Jen Crossley said...

What a awesome experience Janine,I knew you would love Him.Your book looks amazing you must be thrilled with it.
We are so lucky to have experienced such a wonderful and talented man like Michael to teach here in Oz a dream come true
Jen

Judy said...

Hey Janine, the book looks just great. I too enjoyed meeting you and all the others too.
Ciao

Ursula Clamer said...

Your book looks fabulous Janine, and soooo much better in the real! I am so glad that you enjoyed the weekend, esoecaillay after all the hard work you put in to organising it...thank you so much. You are such a generous, talented and warm person. I am glad we got to spend more time together. Ux

Annette Husband said...

Wow Janine
the blook turned out just loevly.Now you know why I loved doing Michael's class in Fremantle last year.If he is back in June I may be able to wing that one.
cheers
Annette Husband

michelle ward said...

Lovely book Janine. Sounds like you all had agreat time - fun to see all the photos of the Oz girls. So, you were the hostess for this event? Bravo!

Sue McGettigan said...

What an uber-cool workshop to go to - love your book Janine, it's amazing!